Virginia Governor Ralph Northam has declared September as Virginia Spirits Month, marking the third annual celebration designed to educate consumers and travelers about Virginia distilled spirits.
“Virginia is the birthplace of American spirits, and our 70 licensed distilleries are a part of the fastest growing sector of the beverage business,” says Gov. Northam. “Distilleries brought more than $163 million into our economy in 2017, and September is the ideal time to celebrate the rich history and important economic impact of this vital industry.”
This annual, month-long celebration is a partnership between the Virginia Distillers Association, Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Authority and Virginia Tourism Corporation.
Virginia has over 70 licensed distilleries, more than Kentucky or Tennessee. The distillers produce every category of spirit, from whiskey, gin and brandy, to vodka, absinthe and rum — and employ approximately 1,500 Virginians. More than 70 percent of the grains and fruits used to produce Virginia distilled spirits are grown in Virginia.
Highlights of the month-long celebration include:
- The Virginia Craft Spirits Roadshow – September 15 at A. Smith Bowman Distillery from noon – 5 p.m.
- Customers will receive a complimentary Virginia is for Spirit Lovers tote with the purchase of any 750-ml. bottle of Virginia Spirits at select Virginia ABC stores while supplies last
- Distillers will offer complimentary tastings at Virginia ABC stores
- 30+ ‘How To’ cocktail videos will be featured on the Virginia Spirits Facebook page and other social media channels throughout September.
- Participating distilleries around the state will be offering special events, tours, tastings and featured cocktails.