At a time when some Scotch brands have zagged away from age statements, The Glenrothes has zigged back into that direction.
The Speyside distillery has unveiled a new range, The Soleo Collection, which the distillery says signals a departure from its past “Vintages” and “Reserves” branding to a new focus on age statements.
The collection features five entirely new whiskies: 10 Years Old, 12 Years Old, Whisky Maker’s Cut, 18 Years Old and 25 Years Old.
Each is sherry cask-aged. The bottle colors of this lineup mirror the shades of grapes as they mature from young to ripe in their process towards becoming sherry. Close to 90% of the casks currently maturing at The Glenrothes distillery have previously held sherry, the company says, with around 70% being first-fill sherry casks.
The Soleo Collection (with distillery-provided tasting notes) includes:
- 10 Years Old (40% ABV): Notes of vanilla, shortbread and citrus peel. SRP: $45
- 12 Years Old (40% ABV): Notes of vanilla, melon and cinnamon. SRP: $55
- Whisky Maker’s Cut (48.8% ABV): Inspired by Master Whisky Maker Gordon Motion, using only first-fill sherry-seasoned casks and bottled at his preferred strength. Vanilla, orange peel and nutmeg character. SRP: $75
- 18 Years Old (43% ABV): Vanilla, pear and fresh-ginger character. SRP: $130
- 25 Years Old (43% ABV): This rich expression delivers woody notes with a character defined by salted caramel, mango and coriander seeds. SRP: $500
The Soleo Collection is available now from spirits retailers nationally.