Bourbon Hunting Season heads to Texas as Garrison Brothers Distillery announces their 2020 Cowboy Bourbon.
This is uncut, unfiltered cask strength bourbon, clocking in at 133.9 proof this year. Cowboy Bourbon was named “American Micro Whiskey of the Year” in Jim Murray’s Whiskey Bible in 2014 and 2017.
Master distiller Donnis Todd created the 2020 edition of Cowboy Bourbon by fusing 100 of his favorite barrels. “I taste every single barrel, and sometimes, I come across one that’s almost completely empty,” says Todd. “The liquid just evaporates in the Texas heat — ‘angel’s share’. But the small amount of bourbon that remains inside those barrels is pure gold. That’s why I call them my piggy bank — the precious liquid they contain is what becomes Cowboy year after year.”
Founder and proprietor Dan Garrison describes this year’s release as having a “deceptive aroma of firewater, firewood, and freshly cut cedar. Clears sinuses instantly. Unexpected sweet flavors of caramel candy, toasted figs, scorched molasses, toasted honey, plum jelly, creamy coffee liqueur, sugary cinnamon apple pie sugar, and crust. Gum puckering, tongue-numbing oily goodness. King-like uber-bourbon.”
Each bottle comes dipped in a gold wax seal. A total of 6,768 bottles will be available across the distillery’s 35-state footprint for a suggested retail price of $199 each.
Searching for rare whiskeys during Bourbon Hunting Season 2020? Other recent releases include:
- Buffalo Trace 2020 Antique Collection
- Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel
- Four Roses 2020 Limited Edition Small Batch Bourbon
- Maker’s Mark 2020 Limited Release
- Heaven Hill 2020 Parker’s Heritage Collection Bourbon
- Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond Fall 2020 Edition
- Blade and Bow 22-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- Diageo’s 2020 Special Releases Whisky Collection