Pioneering craft brewery Firestone Walker has unveiled “25,” a blend of five barrel-aged beers, created with the help of local winemakers, to mark the brewery’s 25th anniversary.
Additionally, for the first time ever, Firestone Walker’s Anniversary Ale launches in tandem with a limited Anniversary Trio Pack. This includes “25” as well as two component ales — the 2021 Parabola Autumn Edition and 2021 Stickee Monkee.
“This is a beer that truly rises to the occasion of our 25th anniversary,” says Brewmaster Matt Brynildson. “It represents many of the core elements that have made our brewery what it is today: exceptionally talented people, innovation, barrels, hard work, patience and beautiful beers.”
Over the summer, Paso Robles winemakers convened at the brewery for an annual seasonal tradition: the blending of Firestone Walker’s next Anniversary Ale. They broke into teams to create their own preferred blends from five barrel-aged component ales, then voted as a group on the winning blend.
The result, “25,” combines five ales aged in bourbon, brandy and tequila barrels.
For the first time, the winemakers were joined by two members of Firestone Walker’s Brewmaster’s Collective beer club, who won the chance to participate in the blending session. Russell From of Herman Story Wines and Taylor Mathiesen of Booker Vineyard, along with Brewmaster’s Collective club member Paul Rios (with guest Christian Smith), created the winning blend that became “25”:
- Parabola Autumn Edition | 14% ABV – Russian imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels (41% of the final blend)
- Tequila Barrel Merkin | 7% ABV – Milk stout aged in tequila barrels (28% of the final blend)
- Brandy Barrel Barley Wine | 13.8% ABV – Blonde barleywine aged in brandy barrels (13% of the final blend)
- Stickee Monkee | 12.3% ABV – Central Coastal quad aged in bourbon barrels (10% of final blend)
- Whiskey Barrel Wheat Wine | 11.7% ABV – Strong golden wheat wine aged in bourbon barrels (8% of the final blend)
“25” and the Anniversary Trio Pack roll out now to all Firestone Walker markets. They are also available at the brewery’s locations in Paso Robles, Buellton and Venice.
“25” comes as an individually boxed 12-oz. bottle accompanied by brewmaster notes.
The boxed trio pack features one 12-oz. bottle each of “25,” Parabola Autumn Edition and Stickee Monkee.
Firestone Walker’s collaboration with local winemakers dates back to 2006, when Brynildson created the inaugural Anniversary Ale to mark the brewery’s 10th anniversary year.