The American Craft Spirits Association (ACSA), the non-profit trade group representing the U.S. craft spirits industry, today announced the winners of its Fifth Annual Judging of Craft Spirits.
Winners were announced from more than 500 entrants, during the Fifth Annual ACSA Distillers Convention and Vendor Trade Show at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown in Pittsburgh, Penn.
Best in Show went to Elgin Distillery, of Arizona, for their Regalo de Vida.
The annual Awards marked the close of the 2018 ACSA Distillers Convention and Vendor Trade Show, which attracted over 1,000 producers and suppliers from across the U.S. for two days of educational seminars and networking events.
Entries came from 38 states and the District of Columbia in six main categories: Whiskey, Gin, Rum, Vodka & Grain Spirits, Brandy, and Specialty Spirits. In addition to the Best of Class Distinctions, the judging panel awarded 16 gold, 84 silver, and 209 bronze medals.
Best In Class Winners in each category included:
- Whiskey: 5 Year Rallypoint Straight Rye Whiskey, Still 630 (MO)
- Gin: Wigle Organic Ginever, Pittsburgh Distilling Company, LLC (PA)
- Rum: Regalo de Vida, Elgin Distillery (AZ)
- Vodka & Grain Spirits: Tiny Cat Vodka, Fainting Goat Spirits (NC)
- Brandy: Starlight Distillery Reserve Brandy, Huber’s Starlight Distillery (IN)
- Distilled Specialty Spirits: Tattersall Bitter Orange Liqueur, Tattersall Distilling (MN)
Winners were selected over two days of judging last November, by a panel of 41 judges who represented a range of spirits experts within the industry, including retailers, bar industry leaders, wholesalers, educators and journalists.
Spirits were scored on appearance, aroma intensity, aroma complexity, palate concentration, palate complexity, body, character and nature of alcohol, texture, and finish. Finally, each judge was asked if they would pour the spirit for a peer.