Scotch single malt distilleries Aberfeldy and Craigellachie, both owned Bacardi Limited, have announced the U.S. launch of their Exceptional Cask Series, an annual release of five luxury expressions that will be make their stateside debut this November.
The Exceptional Cask Series consists of single cask and double cask bottlings, each of which was selected by Malt Master Stephanie Macleod. These are limited-edition, one-off specialties.
“The Exceptional Cask Series is an opportunity for our malt appreciators to experience new, exciting facets of the typical distillery character,” Macleod says. “Each expression in this series elevates a particular aspect of the liquid’s flavor profiling, adding character that one may not immediately recognize. You can’t tell the quality of a cask just by looking at it. You have to open it up and sample it, and what a joy it is to discover an expression that goes on to be exceptional.”
Only five age statements will be released in this year’s collection, with all bottlings numbered and available in limited numbers.
- Aberfeldy 18 Years Old Double Cask: Finished in sherry casks, this single malt is sweet and spicy, with notes of salted caramel and dark chocolate that are heightened with marmalade, almonds and honey. 53.8% ABV, $199.99 per 750-ml. bottle.
- Aberfeldy 19 Years Old Single Cask: Matured in first-fill sherry butt casks, this single malt has notes of concentrated fruits and mixed spice. 56.6% ABV, $199.99.
- Aberfeldy 24 Years Old Single Cask: Matured in first fill Sherry Butt casks, this single malt brings savoury and subtle herbal and spice notes, which develops to be slightly smoky. 53.9% ABV, $299.99.
- Craigellachie 19 Years Old Single Cask: With spice, licorice and pineapple, this single malt was matured in second-fill sherry butt casks, with creamy vanilla and malty sweetness. 55.2% ABV, $199.99.
- Craigellachie 23 Years Old Single Cask: Matured in first-fill Oloroso sherry casks, this single malt has pineapple-studded notes with cloves, dusted with cinnamon and barbeque. 57.5% ABV, $299.99.